Research consistently shows the importance of an harmonious equilibrium between work and personal life for overall well-being. And when it comes to work-life balance, Finland stands as an example of success, as it is deeply rooted in the cultural mindset. Indeed, the Finnish commitment to work-life balance goes beyond personal fulfilment, it is recognized as a fundamental driver of productivity, success and overall well-being.
The Finnish work culture has a deep respect for personal and leisure time. Individuals are encouraged to take breaks, spend quality moments with loved ones and pursue hobbies. Thus, leisure time is supported by work environments where flexibility, trust and autonomy are core values. This allows individuals to tailor their schedules, opting for flexible work arrangements such as flextime or remote work options, which contribute to reducing stress and promote a healthier lifestyle.
To unravel the secrets of Finns work-life balance, here are some tips that can help anyone master this art:
- Set clear boundaries: Establish boundaries between work and leisure time to consciously disconnect and fully enjoy personal activity and relaxation.
- Cherish leisure time: Embrace simple moments of relaxation by recognizing its significance and rejuvenation power for your overall well-being.
- Engage in diverse activities: Explore various hobbies to nurture creativity and motivation. Prioritize outdoor activities by making use of parks, forests or lakes to immerse yourself in the peaceful nature.
- Practice self-care: Embrace rituals, like sauna sessions, yoga or skincare routines to nourish your soul and body.
- Nurture relationships: Any reasons are good enough for Finns to reunite with friends and family. So, emphasize the importance of social connections fostering meaningful relationships.
Remember that achieving a work-life harmony is an ongoing journey fulfilling every aspect of life.
Feature image: Visit Rovaniemi
Gragnano, A., Simbula, S., & Miglioretti, M. (2020). Work–Life Balance: Weighing the Importance of Work–Family and Work–Health Balance. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(3), 907. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17030907
Pöyry, V. (2018, July 13). 10 Essential Work-Life Balance Tips from Finland - Ink Tank. Ink Tank. https://inktank.fi/work-life-balance-tips-finland/
‘The work-life balance in Finland is amazing’ | Aalto University. (n.d.). https://www.aalto.fi/en/news/the-work-life-balance-in-finland-is-amazing
Work-life balance. (2022, November 15). Work in Finland. https://www.workinfinland.com/en/why-finland/living-in-finland/work-life-balance/